Do I Really Need A CDL License?

If you’re looking to get a transportation job in the trucking industry, the first step is to get your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).

Not only do most commercial driving jobs require either a Class A CDL or Class B CDL, depending on the type of vehicle you plan to drive, but also the top carriers and companies in the industry typically look more favorably upon job applicants who have at least a CDL, if not over-the-road trucking experience, even for non-driving career paths that don’t necessarily “require” either type of commercial driver’s license.

Click Here To Learn More About Potential Career Paths!

No matter your career goals, then, it all starts with getting your CDL license, and getting your CDL starts with picking the best CDL training school for your needs.

How To Pick the Right CDL Training School

There are many factors that go into deciding which CDL training school is right for you. For example:

Depending on how you’ve answered these questions, you may want to begin your journey with one of Career Trucker’s premier training partners — Roadmaster Drivers School.

Click Here To Learn More About Roadmaster!

Keep in mind: Roadmaster offers training, test prep and testing for both Class A and Class B CDL licensing.

Which Type of CDL License Do I Need?

Most states offer both Class A CDL licenses and Class B CDL licenses.

A Class A CDL License is needed to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. Vehicles requiring a Class A CDL license are primarily tractor-trailers.

A Class B CDL License is needed to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Vehicles requiring a Class B CDL license may include buses (regardless of size), passenger vans, motorhomes, standard-sized dump trucks, tow trucks, cement mixers, delivery vans, garbage trucks, utility vehicles and any single truck with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, cars and cars with trailers.

Already Have Your CDL? Click Here To Explore Your Options!

Call Now! 1-800-493-1387

First Name
Last Name
Zip Code
CDL Status
By submitting this form you are expressly consenting to our Terms of Use. You are also expressly consenting to Career Trucker Corp. (the “Company”) or its representative, including its Affiliated Companies, Partners, and third party service providers (collectively, “Affiliates”), contact you about your inquiry or about the products and services offered by this Company, its Affiliated Companies, partners, and third party providers. You are further consenting that such contact may be by text message or phone (including by use of automatic telephone dialing system(s) or an artificial or prerecorded voice) to the residential or cellular telephone number you have provided above, even if such number is listed on a corporate, state or national Do Not Call Registry. You do not have to agree to receive such calls or messages as a condition of receiving any services from Company or its Affiliates. For additional information concerning the above consents please see our Terms of Use. page.